• Share

Cheers to Mom: Mother's Day Wines

It looks like spring has sprung and family and friends are finally beginning to venture out of doors. May is the time of year for baptisms, wedding showers, Communions, and of course, Mother’s Day. But this year don’t drag su mama, tia y abuela to an unimaginative brunch that serves all-you-can-drink Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s. They’re usually made with low cost vodka and cheap sparkling wine that’s sure to give you a hangover. This year, why not surprise the important women in your life with a Mother’s Day brunch and serve some well-priced white wines with their favorite dishes. Get into the kitchen and whip up some frittatas and omelets, bagels and lox, or arroz con pollo, but whatever you decide to cook make sure to have a selection of these fun and tasty wines on hand.

Here are our suggestions to make your mom’s mouth water.

Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc 2011 from South Africa’s Western Cape has aromas of lemon zest, grapefruit rind, freshly mowed grass, and orange blossom. It is crisp and clean with citrus flavors that persist long after the first sip. Think about pairing this with raw oysters, clams, and mariscos.

Arnaldo Caprai Grecante dei Colli Martani DOC 2012 comes from the Montefalco region of Umbria in Italy and its roots trace back to the Renaissance. It’s made from 100% Grechetto and aged in stainless steel tanks. It is intense yellow in color with green highlights. On the nose, there are lots of floral notes as well as aromas of white peach and green apple. In the mouth it’s soft, well balanced, and packed with fruit flavors.

Blanco Nieva Pie Franco Verdejo 2012 is made from old vines discovered by Jose Maria Herrero in the small village of Nieva in the western region of Rueda in Spain. The bodega only uses 35% of the grapes that they grow to make their wine and sells the other 65% to other producers, so you can be sure that the family saves the best grapes for themselves. This delicious Verdejo is pale straw colored and has a light bouquet of passion fruit, mango, and Granny Smith apples. It is elegant in the mouth with flavors of grapefruit and citrus rind. It’s smooth and silky but has enough acidity to stand up to your most picantedish.

Monte Velho White 2012 from Portugal is made from Antao, Vaz, Roupeiro, and Perrum grapes. It is crystal clear with aromas of white peaches, white apricots, and lemon blossoms. It has firm structure on the palate with intense fruit flavors. The finish is long, crisp, and clean.

Martin Codax Rias Baixas Albariño 2012 from Spain is made by winemaker Katia Alvarez. She oversees a cooperative of more than 550 families who farm 1400 acres of Galician vines by hand. This Albariño has intense floral aromas and balanced acidity. There’s great minerality with flavors of lemon peel, Bartlett Pear, green apple, and white peach enhanced by just a toque of spice.

Bridge Lane Chardonnay 2013 from the North Fork of Long Island is aged for six months in stainless steel tanks, so it remains crisp and is not oak flavored at all. It’s light bodied with aromas of lemon blossom, Granny Smith apple, and white peach. There are refreshing fruit flavors and a long finish making this a great wine to pair with baked salmon, grilled tuna, or pollo en el horno.

Leave a comment